The Delivery Guide: Scoping the Humanitarian Payments Landscape
Mercy Corps has developed a Delivery Guide (FSP Assessment Tool) that helps humanitarian workers identify appropriate delivery mechanisms for cash transfer programming, particularly multipurpose cash grants (MPGs).
In past responses, organisations have faced challenges in understanding and assessing how regulations will affect cash programming. The Delivery Guide takes users through a two-step process: first, an initial landscaping and scoping process to understand viable cash delivery options and potential obstacles, followed by a process to compare and select a financial service provider (FSP). The guide includes these activities:
- Desk review questions and sources,
- Stakeholder matrix,
- Key informant interview questions (for regulators, FSPs and their field agents, community representatives, affected communities, other implementing agencies and cash coordinators),
- Template for a delivery mechanism assessment report,
- Tips on when to use a providers’ meeting and requests for information,
- Program requirements to consider, and
- Tools to prioritise requirements to prepare for a procurement process.
Below you can read the reports of the Payment Mechanism Assessment pilots in Nigeria and Ethiopia.