Global Cash & Voucher Assistance Advisor
Role & Responsibilities
Lead Cash & Voucher Assistance (CVA) in Medair, including providing the technical support to the teams implementing projects with CVA modality, and raising CVA awareness in country programmes not yet implementing with this modality. Work closely with country programmes, their CVA focal points and the Global-ERT, to strengthen organisation CVA preparedness and enable the scale up of Medair’s CVA portfolio.
Medair’s project with CVA aims to reduce the financial barriers of vulnerable populations. This assistance preserves their dignity by giving them for example access to healthcare or the choice to purchase the items they need most to rebuild their lives after crisis.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Antananarivo, Madagascar or Amman, Jordan, with frequent travel to field locations. Take a look at Medair’s work in Jordan (https://www.medair.org/what-we-do/jordan/) and Madagascar (https://www.medair.org/what-we-do/madagascar/).
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Strategy Development and Policy
– Provide strategic organisational guidance on experience, niche and effectiveness in CVA.
– Develop and implement the CVA strategy in country programmes and globally, involving different sectors and areas.
– Following the agreed vision, plan actions, establish results, prepare tools, develop training activities, collect evidence and disseminate good practices.
– Support, through guidance, advice and direction, existing and emerging CVA programmes in Medair.
– Within the framework of CVA interventions, and reinforcing the established connections, promote multidisciplinary coordination (areas and sectors) within the country programmes and promote the exchange of experiences between the different countries.
– Permanently develop the CVA knowledge and capacity of Medair’s staff, with advice that includes mentoring, awareness and information sharing.
– Identify needs, prepare training plans with staff involved in CVA implementation, prepare training material, promote the use of existing self-learning courses.
– Develop training activities to be given during staff briefings or inductions, and during visits in the country programmes.
– Develop the technical tools necessary to strengthen CVA in the organisation.
– Review and adapt existing materials, develop guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs), produce awareness materials.
– Provide support for Medair to be more effective in funding CVA programmes, including internal and external fundraising, and working in consortia and the private sector.
- Quality Management and Promotion of Best Practices
– Relational mentoring of a network of colleagues to build a community that supports CVA to: jointly capture good practice case studies and learn from where we have not succeeded, and in order to build and share CVA evidence, learning and practice across countries / regions.
– In collaboration with Medair’s sector advisors, integrate Medair’s quality standards into CVA tools and take ownership of quality standards related to CVA.
– Prepare and monitor QPIs related to CVA.
– Build an evidence-base of good practice, including through writing or capturing case studies & recommending, undertaking or commissioning evaluations, cost benefit analyses.
– Participate in and share learning with other relevant communities of practice.
– Monitor and disseminate learning and technical material produced by other organisations and relevant to Medair.
– Represent Senior Shelter and Settlements Adviser.
– Support G-ERT, Heads of Country Programmes, Country Directors, Project Coordinators, Project Managers and CVA focal points.
– Chair the Medair CVA community of practice.
– Co-represent Medair in CaLP and the Geneva based (global) CVA Working Group.
– Participate in relevant CVA Working Groups at country levels.
– Maintain an overview of CVA technical practice in country programmes to adequately communicate internally and externally, including networks of NGOs, academics, missions, donors, and alliances.
– Represent Medair at global level as necessary.
– Contact emergency response specialists and organisations.
- Team Spiritual Life
– Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
– Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
– Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
– University degree in a relevant subject such as humanitarian aid, management or similar.
– Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French or Arabic desirable.
Experience / Competencies
– Minimum 5 years’ professional experience working with humanitarian or non-profit international organisations.
– At least 3 years of direct support to projects and programmes implementing CVA modality.
– Two years of experience in a humanitarian setting (or through short-term consultancies etc).
– Experience working in a cross-cultural setting.
– Computer-literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and MS Project or other management tools.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values (https://www.medair.org/jobs/our-culture/).
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices (https://www.medair.org/accountability/).
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) (https://www.medair.org/jobs/jobs-irs/).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (https://www.medair.org/jobs/roc/) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page (https://www.medair.org/positions/global-cash-and-voucher-assistance-advisor-jor-mdg/). Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.